I Am, But A Sojourner

  

Sauntering across planes & vast oceans 

Lost in nature, one tiny speck in its expanse

But beholding the beauty thereof

I dream of distant shores & pleasant skies

Of peoples, and places, and things

Of cultures that tell different stories

That in them, I too may find myself

A sojourner though I am;

 In every place I've been 

  

Many friends I encountered, many that I lost

 And many things I learnt

Are all of one to me, and of equal substance make

Learning grace, humility, and compassion towards all men

Reverently pursuing kindness wherever it's needed

Learning that every human; man or woman 

Young or old; are on a journey be 

Themselves to find, and something more

And keeping abreast with them, I sail on through

A sojourner such as I


Autumn, winter, spring, and summer

Scorched by the sun, undeterred by the storms

With visions of tomorrow as my compass

I make my way relentlessly 

Through winding roads and deserts

Many obstacles along the way, some causing me to stumble

And sometimes fall, and even grow weary

Yet with strength and repose, I rise and move on

A sojourner just passing through

  

Though long this journey be, and sometimes endless

Waiting, seeking, striving, but circumspect in all things

For knowledge great and small, for things yet unknown

For joy that lives within, and memories of home

Until my eyes beheld her, a Rose well-spawn

Voice like an angel, eyes twinkling like the stars

Graceful in her movements, and spotless skin

Oh, the wonder and grace, that caused mine eyes to see 

And bid my heart know

That mine she is and nothing more

And when the sun goes down, there's one thing left to do

A sojourner on the way home

 


Here come the raging wars, causing my feet to waiver

Brother against brother, man against man

Women and children dying, confusion everywhere

A nation’s been broken, things are falling apart

Strong men running, hiding, from the weapons of war

Oh, the devastation, the ruin, the carnage

The endless stream of bodies, that lay upon our streets

Soldiers in uniforms, bearing heavy arms

Block the roads of travel, whisking able-bodied men away

But unafraid and trusting, the God of the journeying man

We find our way home

Sojourners no more



                                                           Amaechi Akomas (2016)

Comments